Saturday, 8 January 2011

MAC Fluidline VS L'OREAL HIP Cream Eyeliner

Before buying both of these products I looked online for swatches and blog posts, I only could find brief comparisons. So I have decided to compare them both with swatches and everything in hope that it helps at least one person.

So I got my HIP cream eyeliner on EBay, I know you should never buy makeup from there but I really wanted to try it and it wasn't too expensive, £10 with p&p if I remember correctly. I got my Fluidline with a MAC Holiday set. The packaging is kind of simple for the HIP cream eyeliner, but it does come with a free brush, which is an amazing freebie. The brush is not amazing compared to MAC brushes but it was free right? an image of the brush is below. The MAC Fluidline can be brought from anywhere that sells MAC and they cost £13.50. The packaging was usual for MAC, just a black box. They both are in glass containers, you can tell the MAC glass is higher quality and it is a lot heavier. The shades are Teal for the HIP and Blitz & Glitz for the Fluidline, I know this isn't a 100% fair test as they are different colours, but oh well they are both dark shades. You get 4.5g/0.159 US oz in the HIP cream eyeliner compared to 3g/0.10 US oz in the Fluidline, which isn't that much of a difference to me as I don't use this product everyday and it will dry out before I even nearly finish it.


When I first opened them and swatched them, I have to admit the HIP was so much creamier and pigmented. On the MAC website they never state that Fluidline's are highly pigmented they just say ' Line's up in a rich array of colours and finishes ' which does explain why they aren't as pigmented as the HIP cream eyeliners as HIP stands for ' High Intensity Pigments'. I swatched everything with my MAC 209 to make it fair. I did one swatch of a single line and then one line of each blended out. As you can see in the image below the HIP liner is far better quality in all aspects, it is easier to draw with, easier to blend and more pigmented. The MAC Fluidline is a lot harder to work with, the formulation is a lot more clumpy and it doesn't apply evenly. The colour is also not the 'intense' black it claimed to be, and when blended out it lost a lot of its colour, going a darkened grey. The HIP liner is matte & the MAC Fluidline has some gold shimmer.

I then wanted to do more of a test, I wanted to know if they were waterproof, neither of them claimed to be but I just wanted to see if the MAC did any better. I placed my hand under a tap of cold water for 30 seconds, making sure the water hit all the swatches evenly. As you can see all of the swatches did perfectly, the only difference I can see is the Fluidline blended out swatch is ever so slightly darker, maybe if you apply it wet they become more intense?

I wanted to see if MAC Fluidline becomes more pigmented when applied wet. I had never heard of doing this before but I thought I would give it a try, I drew a line with my MAC 209 and then wiped it clean. I then placed the brush under some water and then drew a line next to the dry swatch, and who would of thought it? It works! it is only slightly darker but it still works.

With all of this in mind I have no idea which one is best, well the L'OREAL HIP is but I only think this if you can get it easily, like if you lived in the US. I think if I used the same colours it would be a fairer test but as I don't have other colours this is all I could do. I think to be honest I will keep using MAC Fluidline, it is not as good, but it is so easy to get hold of. Maybe L'OREAL should release their HIP range in the UK, as these cream eyeliners are amazing, and the price without the p&p really makes this a steal for the size of the product. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. Matt x

7 comments:

  1. I B2Med mine last time I was down coz I HATED it. So much hate for Fluidlines. But that blue looks perdyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't get on with my fluidline, but I am determind to love it. The HIP is amazing, but just so hard to get hold of, i want a purple one <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed @1CheekyBeauty's tweet over here :)

    Damn i really should branch out into more exciting eyeliner colours - love the teal but don't think it would have the desired effect on me (blue eyes). I'm thinking of trying out the BB gel liner in Violet Ink though...decisions!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh thank you for the comment! My blog is brand new so feel free to follow :) I will try to get hold of the BB gel liner and review it for you if you like? or do a purple liner look :D have a great evening/day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did follow you :) I think i'm going to pick it up this week and have a mess around - think i'll have to get used to seeing it on myself before i wear it out becuase i ALWAYS wear the same gel liner, i feel weird without it, hehe!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you! I will follow you now :) well good luck with the violet! make a post, I would love to see! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog, I just found you so I'm reading everything backwards. I live in the US and would be happy to mail you some L'Oreal HIP cream eye liner if you want. :)

    No problem at all.

    ReplyDelete