Thursday, 6 January 2011

Review - MAC Feline Kohl Power Eye Pencil

After following the beauty world for ages I have heard so much about this pencil. As soon as I knew it was being re promoted in the Cham Pale collection I had to get it. I knew it was meant to be one of MAC's blackest eye liners but had also heard some bad things, people saying it smudges badly. So yeah, I brought it and this is what I think.


I always love buying eye liners from MAC the boxes are so cute and expensive looking, makes you feel less guilty for spending £13.50 on eyeliner. I also really like the size of the pencils, you get 1.5g/0.05 US oz, they are really long and you know they are going to last. When you compare them to the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencils you can see you are getting a good deal. Urban Decay charge £11.50 for 1.2g/0.04 US oz, so you get 0.3g extra for £2.


When you open the box and hold the liner, it feels sturdy and not breakable like some cheaper liners. The lid also really protects the product and is, not hard but, an effort to get off. The first glance of the pencil looks creamy and black, but doesn't all liner?

I used the product on my eye first, me being stupidly impatient when it come to new make up. It went on perfectly, very exact. It was also really pigmented, I only had to go over my water line once for a opaque black colour. The hype is true about the black colour, it is the blackest pencil liner I have ever used. I talked to my MAC MUA and she said that the MAC powerpoint eye pencil in engraved is blacker, I have never used it so I can't comment.


I did a swatch below, as you can see one is just a simple line, drawn over twice, the one next to it is the same amount of product but blended out, you can see how creamy the product is and it blends amazingly. My swatches do have some shimmer/glitter on, I don't know if this is in the product or just my bedroom, which is slightly embarrassing but everyone loves glitter right? As you can see from the swatches the black is very pigmented, there is no silly grey/black that you tend to get with some 'black' liners.

I wanted to compare Feline with the Urban Decay in zero, as you can see in the swatch below there are a few differences that I didn't expect. The line from the Urban Decay liner is a lot less exact and also not as pigmented, which is a shame because I have always used and loved the Urban Decay 24/7 Liner formulation. The Urban Decay liner blended out swatch is also slightly disappointing, it has faded in colour and would defiantly need another layer. Also I don't know if you can see it in the swatch but it has gone in to the lines in my skin, which looks a tad weird and off putting as I would not want this to happen around my eyes.


All in all I think the MAC Feline eye pencil is really worth the money, being limited edition is really annoying as I know I will have to get a back up. I would say if you already have the Urban Decay zero eye pencil it might not be worth splashing out. I would also say that MAC's Fluidline in Blacktrack is just as if not more pigmented and black so if you are a gel liner kind of person, it might not be worth it. I hope you all like my first ever review, I will get on to posting every day as I love talking about make up and do it all the time anyway. Sorry if there are any spelling mistakes, it is 2.04am. Have a great day! Matt x

6 comments:

  1. I actually have Engraved, Zero and this and although I prefer Zero coz I find it doesn't smudge or move like Feline, Feline is definitely blacker. Don't worry too much about getting a back up though, it was in 3 or 4 collections in 2010./ It's one of those LE things they keep repromoting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really I thought it was a once every two years thing. lameee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out with DSquared which I got it from then it come out with a couple others. But I can't for the life of me remember which!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Feline. I always buy a new one every time it's repromoted regardless of how much I have left of my previous as I love it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Emma have sold me on this product. I currently use (when I remember) the urban decay one and find it doesn't last as long as I'd like. Feline is being ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha sorry! but it is amazing, and it's famous :P

    ReplyDelete