Friday, 7 January 2011

Review - MAC Paint Pot in Vintage Selection

I didn't really know what to do today and as I enjoyed blogging so much yesterday I thought I would do more. I recently brought my first MAC paint pot from the Cham Pale collection, I got it as I fell in love with the colour. But yeah this is what I think of it.


I had no idea what to expect as this is my first MAC paint pot, once out of the box and held in my hand, I was in love even more, the glass case just feels so expensive and the famous 'lid noise' all add's to make this packaging amazing. You get an OK amount of product for £13.50, 5g/0.17 US oz to be exact, I wanted to compare it to Urban Decay's Primer Potion in size as I knew they both can be used as a base. The Urban Decay Primer Potion is £12 and you get exactly double the product, so if you are going to get Vintage Selection and only use it as a base you might as well get the Primer Potion.
I had always wondered what the formulation of a paint pot would be like, the same as Urban Decay Primer Potion or dryer, like a cream blush. But it is neither, I don't know if anyone remembers Dream Matte Mousse from Maybelline, it is very similar to that but with out the bubbles and bit more compact. The finish is shimmer, shimmer and more shimmer, which I personally love but some people might hate. There is no chunky glitter from what I can see though, which is a good thing as they always find their way into my eye. I also did a swatch with the same amount of product but blended it out, the colour faded a lot but the shimmer stayed, I can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

When swatching the product I knew instantly what it reminded me of, the Urban Decay Naked Palette. I swatched the closest two colours, Sin & Virgin, next to Vintage Selection and I was right the Sin eye shadow is almost the exact same colour as it. The only difference I can see is the Sin eye shadow is slightly cooler and Vintage Selection is a touch warmer. They both have the same amount of shimmer too. Once on my hand for a good 10 minutes, and everything had set, I rubbed my finger across everything, the shadows acted like shadows and blended out but the paint pot had set, I was rubbing and rubbing but it wouldn't move, so once set they do have amazing staying power.

So I think this is a really good product from MAC, it makes a change to see a shimmery paint pot too. I think the packaging and the formulation is really nice, but when blended out you do loose colour. The only really bad thing about this product is the price and amount you get, it is pretty steep for a pretty base, so if you have Urban Decay's Sin eye shadow, I might suggest skipping it. I think the best thing about the product is the staying power, it hasn't changed in 3/4 hours and it's still going strong. I would maybe look at future paint pots from MAC but I am not going to run out and get a back up. Hope this helps. Have a great day. Matt x

No comments:

Post a Comment