Friday, 4 February 2011

Interview with Dustin Hunter

For a university topic I had to interview someone in the photography/artistic industry. I chose to interview someone that inspires me with my work. I chose Dustin Hunter, most of you will know him from youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/dustyohunter). He is amazing at what he does and I am so happy I had the chance to ask him some questions. I wanted to post this so you all could see how amazing his answers were and how much of an inspiration he is. His website is (http://dustinhunter.com/), All of you must go check him out, his makeup skills are so unique and his music is incredibly catchy. This is the interview.

1) What inspires you when it comes to your work?

Whether it’s illustration pieces, makeup art, photography or music; inspiration often comes from people and relationships. I do a lot of people watching, I draw a lot of people and characters, I get inspired by personalities, relationships, behaviors, etc. I’ve always found people very fascinating. Most of my work is born out of that fascination with people – And the relationships that I have with them.



2) When you were younger is what you are doing today your career plan? Or did you have another one in mind?

I never thought that I would do something that wasn’t creative. The path has changed over the years (and continues to change all the time), but the common thread is always creation. As a kid I wanted nothing more than to be a comic book artist, as a teenager I set my sights on fashion design and illustration; it always changes, but the theme of “creativity” is always the same.



3) From looking at your work I can see you bridge the gap between make up artist and photographer, do you think this gives you an edge as an artist?

Absolutely. If you can be good at lots of different things instead of excellent at just one, it’s much easier to market yourself. I have some clients that I work for as their makeup artist, website designer, music producer and photographer – All in one. If you can do a little bit of everything you become more versatile and clients appreciate that.



4) With your music, do you feel it also helps you to be more creative when it comes to your other projects?

Does the music help me be more creative with other projects? I don’t know about that one. Learning how to READ music and learning music theory definitely helped me expand my mind more – But not in a creative way. Music is a language based in mathematics, learning music helped my left brain more than my right.



5) In your photography you use photo shop, what do you think of the photo editing debate? Do you think it is necessary?

I do use Photoshop. I think it’s a valid medium to work in. I don’t think that it’s necessary but it’s handy. I know photographers who work almost entirely in Photoshop, piecing together elements into a digital work of art that’s very abstract and interesting. In my own photography, I prefer to spend the bulk of my time setting up the actual shot – Making sure that lighting is looking good and the composition works – I prefer the photo to be complete when I take the shot. After that, if I use Photoshop it’s often for color correction or to generally “enhance” the photo. Sometimes adding layers and textures on top, but it’s rare that I really alter the photograph in a drastic way.



6) Would you say you had to overcome any obstacles to get where you are today?

I’d say I’m still working on those. I imagine I always will be. I think that, especially for people who are working in a creative field, once you stop running into obstacles, then there’s nothing left to do.



7) Even though you have had a lot of success would you say there are any other things you want to achieve in your life as an artist?

That’s funny actually. I have never thought of myself as having “lots of success!” I often think of myself as having been “lucky.” I hope there’s more to do!



8) From reading your website I can see you are self taught in most areas of your work, do you think you could have benefited from going to university or college to study a subject in your chosen field?

Yes. I think that being in a community that is creatively challenging is beneficial. I think I’m good at what I do, but I have always felt that I could be better if I had formal training and the chance to ask questions and learn from professionals in the field.



9) What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out in the art industry?

Just to enjoy what you do. If you don’t love it, it’s not any fun. I’ve always said that it’s important to have a hobby as well. Once you start working as an artist, you need another creative outlet to vent though… One that isn’t “work.” MOST of the work that I do is illustration and website design. My “hobby” is music and makeup art.



10) What has been the highlight in your career so far?

I don’t think I’ve had one. I’ve had several – And hope I have more! In 2002-ish I designed the interiors for a chain of DVD only video rental stores. I got the opportunity to work with contractors and construction companies and watch my 8X10 sketches turn into 14 foot high structures. That was an experience that felt scary and exciting all at the same time. The amount of positive feedback and support that I’ve received from viewers on my YouTube channel over the past year has been another highlight. A year ago I was a guy talking to a camera, alone in my room. Now I feel like I’m talking to a room full of thousands of people. It’s an interesting and exciting shift.




I really love his answers and his advice is so useful. Hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I did. Have a lovely day. Matt x

No comments:

Post a Comment